Gossip and Gab had so much fun talking with Renee Lawless, or Katheryn Cryer from The Haves and the Have Nots that we had to come back with a second part of the interview! In this second half, we talk more with Renee about the show, the characters, and how she transforms into Mrs. Cryer!
WAIT! Have you read part 1 of the interview yet? The Haves and the Have Nots Exclusive: Interview with Renee Lawless (Part 1).
When it comes to turning into Katheryn Cryer, Renee admits that it’s not as hard as we may think: “It’s easy to get into character. Once that hair gets bumped and I get dressed, I’m Katheryn,” she joked. “But it can be hard to get out, depending on the scene. If you have a highly emotional scene, it takes a minute to come out.”
Do the HAHN cast members ever try to figure out what will happen next in each episode? “We’ve already finished all of 2016, but we always try to figure it out. We have to play the moment, but we also have to know details to know what we’re planning too.” Another cool thing is that Tyler Perry allows the cast to discuss their concerns with him: “Mr. Perry opens things up for conversation – he listens to our concerns and helps us understand why our characters are doing certain things or why scenes are a certain way.”
Acting as Katheryn, Renee admits that it can be very beneficial for her. “Playing Katheryn can be therapeutic – Katheryn says things that I may think, but would never say as Renee!” Using the example of Katheryn slapping Wyatt Cryer, “The day I got to slap his face was glorious – Renee loved that! The way he talked to his mama….if that was my mama I would be dead!”
Speaking of Wyatt, Renee revealed this about Katheryn and Jim’s relationship with their children: “Everything between them has been distant since Wyatt went to camp. They made mistakes and weren’t great parents, but they truly loved their children. And now that Amanda is gone, they are trying so hard to care for Wyatt, but it’s too little too late.”
What about Katheryn’s relationship with Hanna Young? “If you notice, you never really hear us talk about race on the show,” she said. ” But Katheryn doesn’t see Hanna as a black woman – she sees her as a friend. I think one of Katheryn’s downfalls is her ignorance because she assumes that, because Hanna is such a nice person that she couldn’t live in a bad neighborhood.”
And lastly, if she could give some of the Haves and the Have Nots characters advice, what would Renee say?
- “Well Veronica and Jim need Jesus. Period.
- Jim – Take responsibility for being a jerk.
- Veronica – Get over it. Your son and husband love you – you have to accept people for who they are and not what you want them to be.
- Hanna – Stop being stubborn! Let people help you. They don’t always want something in return.
- David – Get away from Jim and divorce Veronica, but keep loving her
- Wyatt – Go fend for yourself. You need to be cut loose.
- Katheryn – Divorce Jim and become a pinnacle of volunteerism in the community. That will benefit your name.
- Benny – Leave your hood friends alone
- Candice – Snap out of it! You will reap what you sow.
But, the show wouldn’t be any fun if they followed my advice!”